- Earth system model providing the first detailed simulation of Middle to Late Ordovician land ice growth
- Model/data comparison suggests a Darriwilian age for glacial onset
- A single ice sheet of large extent covered Gondwana during the Hirnantian glacial maximum.
Link to pdf: Pohl2016_Paleoceanography
Posted in Climate modeling, FOAM, GRISLI, LMDZ, LSCE, Ordovician, Publications
Tagged Early Paleozoic Ice Age, EPIA, Glacial threshold, Hirnantian, pCO2
- We model Early, Middle and Late Ordovician ocean surface circulation.
- Our basemaps are fully compatible with the most recent palaeontological databases.
- Synthetic maps are produced to aid the interpretation of palaeobiogeographical data.
- Major patterns of modelled ocean surface circulation appear to be model-independent.
- Ordovician surface circulation is highly dependent on atmospheric CO2 levels.
Link to pdf: Pohl2015_Paleo3
Pre-conference excursion: Ordovician of Estonia, 10 – 12 June 2014.